Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:03:11 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   The next problem in the shared library bump.

OK.  I upgraded my current box last night.  I found a major problem in
Peter's fixes.

The problem has to do with other shared libraries.

We generate new shared libraries (say libcam.so.2) that have the
dependency on __stderr and therefore libc.so.5.20010213.  However, old
binaries still link against both these new versions of the libraries
(say libcam.so.2) and the older libc.so.4 or libc.so.5, so these
binaries fail to load.  This is because we've silently changed the ABI
for every single shared library in the system that uses
std{in,out,err} in the latest build of the tree.  As such, I think we
need to bump the major version of every library in the system that
uses std{in,out,err}:
	libcam.so.2
	libcom_err.so.2
	libcrypto.so.1
	libdes.so.3
	libdevstat.so.2
	libdialog.so.4
	libedit.so.3
	libfetch.so.2
	libftpio.so.5
	libg2c.so.1
	libhistory.so.4
	libipsec.so.1
	libisc.so.1
	libkvm.so.2
	libm.so.2
	libncp.so.1
	libncurses.so.5
	libopie.so.2
	libpam.so.1
	libpcap.so.2
	libperl.so.4
	libreadline.so.4
	libskey.so.2
	libstdc++.so.3
	libutil.so.3

The list was generated using egrep -l __stderr since we don't install
symbols for elf shared libraries that nm can get to easily These are
the libraries that have the __stderr string in them.  There may be
some false positives on the list, but I kinda doubt it.

We don't need to do this for ports because a) the window of brokenness
is small and b) it is only a problem in buildworld since all the
libraries there are changed all at once.

So it looks like it is not a good time to try to upgrade your systems
to the newest current.

Warner