Date:      Sun, 19 Jul 2015 09:27:23 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
To:        Leonardo Fogel <leonardofogel@yahoo.com.br>
Cc:        "DanielO'Connor" <darius@dons.net.au>, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to Xbuild to BBB?

Leonardo Fogel wrote this message on Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 06:53 -0700:
> Actually, I've run:
>
> $ env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=<dir> make buildenv ...
> $ env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=<dir> make kernel-toolchain ...
>
> Turn off computer... The following day, turn on computer:
>
> $ env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=<dir> make buildenv ...
> $ env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=<dir> make buildkernel ...
>
> Turn off... Turn on:
>
> $ env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=<dir> make buildenv ...
> $ env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=<dir> make installkernel ...
>
> I think this is worth mentioning, because I don't know how buildenv works.

the buildenv steps shouldn't be necessary...  buildenv is only useful
if you want to cross build a specific binary, such as rebuilding ntpd
w/o building the entire world (and assuming you already have toolchain
built)...

The targets kernel-toolchain, buildkernel, and installkernel will
do the correct cross build if TARGET_ARCH is specified (the other
world targets also do the correct thing)...

It's probably confusing that buildenv is one of the first targets
listed in build(7)...  Looks like we need to be more explicit about
this, and that buildworld and friends are already support cross
building...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579