Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2000 14:55:02 +0200
From:      Philipp Mergenthaler <un1i@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>
To:        roam@orbitel.bg, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: virtual console 'snapshot'?

 Hi,

In article <20000923011753.A15311@ringwraith.office1.bg> you wrote:
> Is there anything like Linux's /dev/vcs* in FreeBSD?  That is, some way
> to obtain the complete view of a virtual console - characters, attributes,
> everything?

I've written a module which implements something like this - for
every console, there's a device where you can read that console's
content or scrollback buffer (selectable per #define).

It's still very crude, though.  For example the output routine may
need work.  (Right now it renders similar to man(1), i.e.
"more /dev/ttyvbuf0" shows kernel messages in bold.)
Also, it doesn't take a "snapshot" which means that reading a buffer
while there's output on that console may give a garbled view.

You can find it here:
http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~un1i/freebsd/misc/ttyvbuf.tgz

I've written this on FreeBSD-current but I think it'll also work
on 4.x.  Maybe it is of some use to you.

Bye, Philipp

--
http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~un1i/                          (,.)
                                                          \\\00 )