Date:      Sat, 27 Jul 2002 20:46:10 -0400
From:      "Mark A-J. Raught" <mraught@acm.org>
To:        Brian Gottlieb <brianosaurus@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netgear MA401RA weirdness

Brian Gottlieb wrote:

> i recently installed freebsd 4.6 and wanted to play around with hostap
> mode.  I had a lucent gold card which worked great as a client, but
> wasn't Prism, so i went out and bought a netgear 401.
>
> I plugged it in, and viola, nothing.  I investigated, and it claims to
> be a "MA401RA" not just MA401, so a quick edit of pccard.conf fixed that.
>
> Now when i plug in the card, it recognizes it as a Prism2.5:
>
>     wi0: at port 0x240-0x27f irq 3 flags 0x10000 slot 1 on pccard1
>     wi0: using RF:PRISM2.5 MAC:ISL3873
>     wi0: Intersil Firmware: Primary 1.00.07, Station 1.03.06
>
> But it doesn't seem to recognize my network.  The status light keeps
> blinking, and ifconfig reports "no carrier".  To make it weirder, if i
> run "dstumbler wi0 -o", the light goes solid, and dstumbler sees my
> access point.  So I'm stumped.  The OS seems to be able to handle the
> card, but for some reason it won't find my network.
>
> My network is wide open, no WEP, no restrictions.  I tried the card in a
> windows laptop, and everything works.
>
> Any ideas?  Any other info i can provide?
>
> brian

Brian,
	Here's what helped me. This was actually on a Linksys card for me, but
it was exactly the same symptoms and this fixed it. This is from a
thread around the 8th of May this year (relevant email attached at the
bottom). It got me going. If you need specifics let me know and I will
did up my files (I'm on a windows machine at the moment). I think it was
just a -p 0 on both of the machines and a -c 1 on the wireless routing
machine.

-mark

In message: <200205081510.g48FAJa41142@zibbi.icomtek.csir.co.za>
            John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za> writes:
: > In message: <200205070605.g47654P81869@zibbi.icomtek.csir.co.za>
: >             John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za> writes:
: > : If the wpc11 use the Intersil firmware, you should do "wicontrol
-p 0"
: > : and the rest should be the same. (I do not have a card with
Intersil
: > : firmware yet, but this is what I learned when merging the OpenBSD
: > : "mediaopt ibss" stuff.) If it is using Symbol firmware, you need
: > : use "wicontrol -p 4" and it can't be a master so the "-c 1" is
useless.
: >
: > That is correct.  For intersil (prism) cards with "recent" firmware
: > (0.8 or newer):
: >      -p 0   ibss
: >      -p 1   demo adhoc (lucent)
: >      -p 2   nothing
: >      -p 3   bss (access point)
: >      -p 6   won't work (hostap mode, needs kernel support)
: >
:
: Don't you have -p1 and -p3 swapped?

Yes.  I do.  that's what I get for posting w/o double checking the docs.

Warner