Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 1998 16:21:16 +0000
From:      "Duncan Barclay" <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        "John M. Purser" <jpurser@wilcofarmers.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FW: One step forward....

Hi John,

Hope you -newbies don't mind me (been around FreeBSD a few years)
helping out?

> [John M. Purser]  On Thursday, March 26, 1998 1:15 PM, Sue Blake
> [SMTP:sue@welearn.com.au] wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 26, 1998 at 08:43:29AM -0800, John M. Purser wrote:
> >
> > Famous last words :-)
>
> Oh they won't be my last ones by an means!  I will whip this big ugly hairy
> bastard if it's the last thing I do!  At least with the new manual and this
> mailing list I should be able to.
>

> > Ooohh, isn't it awful when that happens, slog, slog, lots of helpful advice,
> > and it turns out to be something so "simple and obvious"... to everyone else!
> >

> I think there will be lots of those.  I just don't know enough to guess right
> yet.

I still slap my forhead which those "Oh, that's easy" about once a
day!

> > Does that involve /cdrom and mounting your CD there, perchance? :-)
> > (BTW, unmounting is discussed in the errata, and details of its location are
> > hidden right at the beginning of the book, where none of us thought to look)
> >

> No the directory specified in the manual is /usr/src/ports/emulators/linux_lib
> and the one I found was /usr/ports/emulators/linux_lib.  I would very much like
> to know if any other 2.2.5 users have the one mentioned in the manual.

I think that the /usr/src/ports/... is a typo. Usually /usr/src is
where the source code to FreeBSD lives, and /usr/ports is where the
ports collection lives. I certainly don't have /usr/src/ports on my
machine.

Advanced stuff:
	All of the code for any part of FreeBSD, be it software,
	documentation or the ports is kept in a source code control system
	called CVS (try man cvs or info cvs). There are three main
	collections: the FreeBSD source under /usr/src which is FreeBSD;
	the ports under /usr/ports; and the documentation under /usr/doc.
	What you see in a release is a version of the code taken from the
	CVS "reposistory". Sometimes people get confused about where
	the source appears to live in a release tree (I do, I'm not sure
	if the documentation source appears under /usr/doc!), because
	CVS allows you to keep the copy you are working on anywhere
	you like.

> When I switched to /usr/ports/emulators/linux_lib I ran the make command as the
> book specified "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=yes make all install" but received the error
> message "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER: command not found" or words to that effect.  Sorry
> I'm at work and this all happened on my home machine.  If anyone has run into
> (and hopefully over) this before I would appreciate hearing how they fixed it!

This is a probably a shell/command line problem. You are not using
the "Bourne" shell (man sh) but using the "C" Shell, the syntax is
different. I would guess that the book talks about these somewhere?

> When I ran the make command without FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=yes it started ranting
> about needing linux_lib-2.4.tgz.

The ports collection is a means to get software not specifically
written for FreeBSD to run under FreeBSD. In order for the process to
start it needs some source code or orignal distribution material. In
this case the port goes looking for
	/usr/ports/distfiles/linux_lib-2.4.tgz
then
	/cdrom/ports/distfiles/linux_lib-2.4.tgz
then tries to ftp it from the original site and then
falls back to ftp.freebsd.org.

If you didn't have the ports CDROM mounted on /cdrom or a network
connection things will fail.

Check out the PPP tutorial on www.freebsd.org, it is very good.

> > As we saw in your demos (thanks for that!), the problems occur mainly when
> > deep into a conversation with multiple quotes. You should be able to edit
> > yourself out of any mess, now that we know what tricks it plays.
> > Did any other microsoft users here have any ideas for you?
> >

> Is this better?  I'm just removing the original portions and leaving your
> comments.  Not exactly according to Hoyle but it is better than those forests
>
> > --
> >

> Thanks for getting back to me.  Stay tuned for the continuing saga!
>
> John Purser

Duncan