Date:      Fri, 11 May 2012 18:18:32 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UFS Crash and directories now missing

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 12:11:48PM -0700, Edward M wrote:

>    So far I think I found a few that may make a difference.
> According to  the "table of contents" in the 4th edition in the
> chapter called "Booting and shuting down it
>    only shows entries for: red hat, HP-UX, AIX, SUSE,Ubuntu. However
> in the third edition, show entries for FreeBSD's Booting and shuting
> down process.
>    And another  example is in the 4th edition the chapter called
> "Adding new users", only mentions how to add users for:
>     SUSE, Redhat Solaris HP-UX and AIX. However in the 3rd edition,
> explains how to add users on  FreeBSD  and
>     how FreeBSD's master.passwd file, login.conf. work,etc  The
> third edition's chapter called
>     "Drivers and the kernel" shows how to build a freebsd kernel,
> create a BSD config file, tuning the freebsd kernel, add freebsd
> device  drivers,etc.
>     I  was not able  to  find those entries in the the 4th editions
> "Drivers and the kernel. chapter.    the 3rd editions  TCP/IP
> chapter shows network config for freebsd.
>    However in the table of contents of the 4th edition does not.
> I'm searching for a website that contains  the 3rd edition table of
> contents so one can compare between
>     the  two editions for better judgement.
>      unfortunate,  those were a few examples i have time to point
> out. I think may make a great difference.

Okay, thanks.  You've provided a pretty good representative selection, I
think.  I guess there are two problems: the third edition index is
woefully incomplete, and the fourth edition text has for some reason
basically traded FreeBSD for AIX -- which makes little sense to me.

I appreciate the time you put into this.