Date:      Sun, 20 Nov 2016 13:32:30 +0100
From:      "John W. Kitz" <John.Kitz@xs4all.nl>
To:        "'freebsd-arm'" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Creating FreeBSD/arm bootable SD card for Cubieboards from FreeBSD 11.0 image files for Wintel only users.

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 11:48 AM, John W. Kitz <John.Kitz@xs4all.nl> =
wrote:
>> To rephrase my question; am I correct in assuming that the FreeBSD=20
>> release
>> 11.0 SD-card image file contains everything one needs to do a first=20
>> time installation of FreeBSD on a cubieboard or cubieboard2? I.e. I =
do=20
>> not or do no longer need to install the SPL loader and U-boot =
programs=20
>> on the SD-card, since they are either an integral part of or not=20
>> needed when using the image file.

>Yes. If you can image the file onto an SD card verbatim, and the image =
is exactly right for your board, that's all you need to do. If you are =
trying >to use the image not on a Cubieboard2, but on something newer, =
then you'll need to install the right u-boot package and follow the =
directions in the >readme file to put the combined SPL+uboot.img file =
onto your card. You may also need to copy a .DTB file for your board and =
possibly a newer kernel >depending on how different things are.

>https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images=
/windows.md
>might be helpful for you, since images are images, even though that =
site is for the Raspberry Pi.

All,

Thanks for the various replies.

In lieu of the availability of an image file for one of the more recent =
Cubie products I am planning to give it a try on a cubieboard2.

Does anybody on this list happen to know if future FreeBSD releases are =
planned to include images for more recent Cubie hardware?

Jk.