Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 2015 13:46:14 +0200
From:      Marko =?UTF-8?B?Q3VwYcSH?= <marko.cupac@mimar.rs>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   help with partitioning - huge stripesize

Hi,

I've got HP ProLiant DL320g5p server with HP Smart Array E200 RAID
controller and 4X300Gb SAS disks.

I'd like to use it for hosting jails on ZFS, but no matter how I create
zpool, I always get a warning about non-native block size:

block size: 8192B configured, 1048576B native

I know it is optimal for ZFS to have direct access to disks, but HP
Smart Array E200 apparently does not support JBOD mode. I tried to
configure both single RAID-5 logical volume and four RAID-0
logical volumes, in both cases diskinfo gives me the following:

	512         	# sectorsize
	299966445568	# mediasize in bytes (279G)
	585871964   	# mediasize in sectors
	1048576     	# stripesize
	643072      	# stripeoffset
	71798       	# Cylinders according to firmware.
	255         	# Heads according to firmware.
	32          	# Sectors according to firmware.
	PA6C90R9SXK07P	# Disk ident.

With hardware I have, is it better to create single RAID-5 logical
volume in HP Smart Array E200 and let ZFS think it deals with single
physical drive, or four  RAID-0 logical volumes and let ZFS think it
deals with four physical drives?

Can I just ignore warning about non-native block size? If not, how can
I make it go away?

Thank you in advance,
--=20
After  enlightenment - chop wood, draw water.

Marko Cupa=C4=87
https://www.mimar.rs/