Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 12:59:10 +0100 (MET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.dk>
To:        j_mini@efn.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org (FreeBSD current)
Subject:   Re: Vendor-specific processor hacks

> Søren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.dk> stands accused of saying:
>
> > I know this leads to a certain amount of bloat for some processors, but
> > thats "just too bad"..
>
>   This is my point : why should they bloat the other family's unnecissarily?
> In most situations, the options will be left in the kernel, so the code will be
> the same as it is now, but for those of us users who are intelligent enough ot
> know that what kind of processor we have, it would be better to not punish us.

You surely is intelligent enough to compile with option NO_FOOF_HACK then ??
Or whatever it is you dont want...

>   Your point of all processors being equal because they all cause bloat is not
> the issue here. I am not aruging that Intel is special, I am arguing that
> Intel code is bloating a Cyrix or an Amd system. If Amd code were bloating an
> Intel system, I would be just as annoyed.

No I'm argueing that you allready have the option of not including the
hacks, its just a matter of HOW its done, and I think the current method
covers it pretty well...

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..