Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 2012 22:42:00 +0100
From:      Fritz Wuehler <fritz@spamexpire-201202.rodent.frell.theremailer.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: File manager for Xfce

> A long time KDE3 user but now thinking of Xfce instead as KDE4 is not
> really my way of doing it.

I prefer Fluxbox and have since I found it. Xfce is rather heavy these days,
not surprised you're considering it as a replacement to KDE. But Xfce breaks
rather badly at times, I no longer trust it.

> One of the things I've found productive in KDE is the Konqerour file
> manager, is there anything similar available as a separate app to run
> under Xfce?

Hmmm not sure about that since I haven't used KDE in ages but have a look at
ROX-Filer it is just super. I always install it on all my Linux and BSD
desktop machines.

> In particular, it should accept URI's like sftp://, smb:// etcetra and
> looking at Thunar it does not seem to have this capability?

tsk tsk oh well if you need that sort of thing I'm not sure ROX will work
for you. for file management it's super, beyond that the filer doesn't
go. Not sure if some of the other ROX bits would work as I haven't used them.

> I suppose I could run Konqerour as an app but that would require buiding
> a lot of KDE3 as well.

Yes that's the problem with package management. The installation bloat can
be significant if you want something and only that thing whilst the port dev
decided the entire world was a prereq....