Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2006 04:55:04 -0700
From:      "Bill Blue" <bblue@netoldies.com>
To:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   snd_emu10k1 driver

Hi,

Is this driver known to be 100% working?  I'm running stable 6.2 p6 righ=
t now and have this device driver installed (device sound and device snd=
_emu10k1 compiled into the kernel) for use with a Creative Live! card.  =
Audio outputs work correctly, and the various players will produce audio=
 as expected via the PCM control.  Line input works as well.  'mixer' wo=
rks as does KDE's kmix (they track each other).  I've also installed the=
 driver via kldload at boot, but it makes no difference.

I'm unable to successfully record audio from the line input of this Crea=
tive Live! card.  Either using the generic /dev/dsp as the recording sou=
rce, or individual devices /dev/dsp0.0 and up, dspW0.0 and up, or dspr0.=
4/5.  There's just no audio there.

For the recording software I've used Krec, ffmpeg, darkice and streamTra=
nscoder (the latter two feeding an icecast server).  'mixer' has its rec=
ording device (=3Drec) set to line in, and I'm feeding audio to line in =
(analog) and spdif in (digital).  There's no problem monitoring the 'lin=
e in' buss on the outputs, but there's no audio on the record output dev=
ice.

dmesg shows the driver being installed, and cat /dev/sndstat shows it is=
 active on pcm0.  If I cat /dev/sndstat with a higher verbosity (set wit=
h sysctrl) it shows that the record devices should be dsp0.4 and dsp0.5,=
 line and mic in respectively.  The man page for snd_emu10k1 says the re=
cording devices should be dspr0.4 and dspr0.5 but only if they're drivin=
g a codec directly -- I'm not sure what that means exactly.

There's no sound daemons like esound or artsd running during these tests=
.  The ports being tested as an input device seem to open correctly and =
show up as read devices in fstat.

I've also tried the snd_emu10kx driver to no avail.

Has anyone had experience using the Live! sound card and these drivers? =
 And if so, is recording correctly supported?

I have other sound cards available, but none of them seem to have driver=
 support in FreeBSD.  One is a Delta (Midiman) 410 with an ICE1712 chip,=
 and the other is a Turtle Beach TB400 (not a Santa Cruz) with Vortex AU=
8830A2 chip.  Both cards have analog and digital ins and outs.

Anyone with insight on any of this?

--Bill