Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 02:39:05 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Driver for Adaptec/Dell/HP PCI:SCSI RAID adapters available

> On Sun, 23 Jul 2000, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> > > These adapters are OEMed by Dell as the PERC 2/QC and by HP as the HP
> > > NetRAID-4m.
>
> FWIW, I've got a plethora of 2450's and 4350's at work...  I think some
> have the PERC 3, but I'll check tomorrow...  and grab any with the PERC
> 2 (or are the 2/3 models closely enough related to both be
> supported?).  I'm definately up for some testing...  Up to now, we've been
> using Linux on these with a Dell-provided, binary kernel module - ick (the
> PERC stuff isn't in Linux' standard RAID support)!

Ok, the deal is like this.

There are two major PERC families; AMI-based and Adaptec-based.

The AMI-based family constitutes the PERC, PERC 2/SC and PERC 2/DC. These
are all supported by the 'amr' driver and probably aren't interesting to
you.  (Note that we seem to have firmware issues with the 2/DC at the
moment.)

The Adaptec-based family is divided into two sub-families; the StrongARM
based controllers (PERC 2/QC) and the i960Rx based controllers (PERC 2/Si,
PERC 3/Si, PERC 3/Di).

I don't have any of the i960Rx-based controllers here to work with (yet,
I have been promised some), so the driver currently only supports the
StrongARM based controllers.  They're easy to tell apart; the i960Rx
controllers are the ones built into the motherboard (eg. on the PE2450),
while the PERC 2/QC is a full-length PCI card with a large daughterboard.
I don't know anything about the PE4350, so I don't know which controller
it has.  I know the 2400, 2450 and 4400 have the i960Rx-based models.

The differences between these two families are quite small, and as soon
as I can get my hands on an i960Rx-based controller I will make the
requisite changes.  I expect this won't take more than a couple of weeks.

Keep in touch, thanks!