Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 09:35:51 +0930 (CST)
From:      Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
To:        hmmm@alaska.net (hmmm), freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: spanning

In article <Pine.BSF.3.95.960924200506.562A-100000@hmmm.alaska.net> you wrote:

: is there a simple method to span floppies (like pkzip &)
: when cp-ing and/or tarballing?

: sometimes i need to transfer >1.4M files from BSDbox to BSDbox ...

 Straight from the FAQ...

6.25. How did you split the distribution up into 240k files?

Newer BSD based systems have a ``-b'' option to split that allows them to split files on arbitrary byte boundaries.

Here is an example from /usr/src/Makefile.

            bin-tarball:
            (cd ${DISTDIR}; \
            tar cf - . \
            gzip --no-name -9 -c | \
            split -b 240640 - \
            ${RELEASEDIR}/tarballs/bindist/bin_tgz.)

--
 Peter Childs  ---  http://www.imforei.apana.org.au/~pjchilds
  Finger pjchilds@al.imforei.apana.org.au for public PGP key