Date:      Wed, 1 Jul 1998 22:22:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   -current wishlist

I don't know if there's a Santa Claus on -current right now, but I've got a
few suggestions/weak spots I see in -current now, and would be more than
willing to help anyone wanting to work on these. I'm not that deep into the
mysteries of the kernel to just do it myself, but I'm a willing test
subject. :)

1) Fix de driver panics
2) Fix pidentd from screaming so much
3) Fix NFS (client inability to recover from server dying)
4) Fix NIS (client inability to recover from server dying)
5) Fix ccd under SMP
6) Fix ep driver
7) Fix NFS bug where certain files become inaccessable. Processes get stuck
in vmpfw when you try to read them
8) Load average seems to have no bearing on how busy the system really is.

last pid: 21803;  load averages:  2.74,  2.82,  2.88
135 processes: 3 running, 131 sleeping, 1 zombie
CPU states:  1.7% user,  0.0% nice,  1.3% system,  1.7% interrupt, 95.2% idle
Mem: 75M Active, 12M Inact, 23M Wired, 6520K Cache, 8347K Buf, 8364K Free
Swap: 164M Total, 25M Used, 139M Free, 16% Inuse

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
21800 toasty    29   0  1664K   940K CPU0   1   0:00  2.15%  1.03% top

If the load average is 2.74, how can the CPU be 95.2% idle? If it really is,
what's it waiting on so much? Or am I just misinterpreting this?

9) init seems to occasionally die, and stop reaping zombies
10) NIS slave servers don't seem to work

Anyone got anything to add to this? Any takers on wanting to fix it? :)

Kevin