Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 1998 12:41:07 -0800
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        "Nick A. Fikouras" <nick@dcs.shef.ac.uk>
Cc:        bmah@california.sandia.gov, Andrey Tchoritch <andy@moldsat.md>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Timestamps and nonces in IP packets

--==_Exmh_547062568P

If memory serves me right, "Nick A. Fikouras" wrote:
> Bruce A. Mah wrote:

> > The timestamp option in the TCP header allows to sender of a TCP segment to
> > compute the round-trip time (RTT) for every segment sent and acknowledged.
>  It
> > places a timestamp in every outgoing segment it sends...the receiver (assum
> ing
> > it support this option) copies this timestamp back to an appropriate field
> in
> > the ACK it sends back for that segment.
> >

> Why can't the TCP sequence number be used instead. TCP uses that sequence num
> bers
> anyway to acknowledge the safe receipt of data.

Yes, TCP uses sequence numbers to ensure that data has been *received*, but
the timestamps are used to compute the round-trip *time* of a particular
segment.

> > Without the use of the timestamp extension, the sending TCP can only estima
> te
> > the RTT once per round trip.
> >

> I thought it always requires a round trip to measure the Round Trip Time.

It does.  But consider that a sender can have multiple segments in the network
at once.  Normally, the TCP algorithms can only measure the RTT once per
round-trip time.  With the timestamp option, the RTT can be measured once per
TCP segment sent and acknowledged.  At least in theory, this allows a more
accurate measurement of the RTT, but I haven't seen any references to say "how
much better" (anyone?).

(Why can you only measure the RTT once per round trip without the timestamp
option?  I'm not sure.)

> Thank you for your response Bruce. 8)

My pleasure.  I had to look up a couple of things to write a coherent
response, so I learned something too.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_547062568P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBNlnIY6jOOi0j7CY9AQEY3AP/URd4H2tDh3eMl0RoDrb/MIiyfuCT5xkm
fXgwpKKP3giDlphmcDcWfK1tpi4V8KP0VI1vQbZ9T+w6zQ1Mscjj/IHddtyr74jk
ZZkQFplFKbzFT+Y5sWbKhatA6QevSxGTz+oT0TtFZvYWgGNTsWPCAQM4ESNgBMmQ
LyRULTJry14=
=3NXb
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_547062568P--