Date:      Sun, 20 Jul 1997 12:14:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Frank Seltzer <frankd@yoda.fdt.net>
To:        Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/3927: xview library fails on -current and on 2.2.x

On Sun, 20 Jul 1997, Wolfgang Helbig wrote:

>  >  * The "notifier: bad file number" message and subsequent segmentation
>  >  * fault still occurs on any xview-lib client if the 2.2.2- built
>  >  * xview-lib package is used. But this error only shows if the process
>  >  * uid is zero, i. e.  if you launch the xview application as root.
>  >
>  > Really?  I saw this before when I was running workman as non-root.

>  Puh--finally someone else saw this phaenomenon! I already started
>  to believe seeing things :-) It was just me and someone from
>  the questions list that reported this xview-lib problem and everyone
>  else said: ''works fine on my system''.

I am the one from the -questions list with the problem. I had the problem
as root or non-root.

---
>  So what I did on the 2.2.2 system (with XFree86-3.3):  Grabbed the
>  ports xview-{config|lib}.3.2.1, built and installed them without
>  any problems--well I had to update to the latest revision of
>  ports/x11/xview-lib/patches/patch-aa:
---
>  O. k., I feel uneasy myself about closing this PR without fixing
>  it.  OTOH there was just one problem report (mine) regarding this
>  bug and one message in the mailinglist mentioning it. Since it does
>  not show if the xview packages are replaced by -current built ones
>  it may already be fixed in 2.2-stable.
>
>  As I don't have access to a 2.2-stable system, I cannot test and/or
>  debug it. But most if not all committers do have access to 2.2-stable
>  and some of you committers should be able to at least test it.
>
>  Thanks for your time
>
>  Wolfgang

I had this problem until Wolfgang built xview-lib and -config for me on
his -current system. I have a stock 2.2.2 system that I can test fixes on
if you like. I would make a good tester since I experienced this
personally.

Frank
--
Only in America can a homeless veteran sleep in a cardboard box while a
draft dodger sleeps in the White House - anonymous