Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 2002 11:34:30 +0000
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: No route to host

On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 09:40:48PM +0000, Stacey Roberts wrote:
> I had a look at the attachment, but could see anything (to my eyes) that
> look untoward in there, except the fact that you've got "maxusers" set
> to 0. This value tells the kernel how many "new file / processes can be
> opened.
>
> This definitely should be higher, probably somewhere around 132.
>
> What does /var/log/messages & /var/log/security say whenever you try to
> access a remote host, or ping the local machine. If it were a firewall
> issue the attempts would have been logged there.
>
> Bump maxuers to 132 asap, and try seeing if anything gets logged when
> testing later.

This from LINT:

# The `maxusers' parameter controls the static sizing of a number of
# internal system tables by a formula defined in subr_param.c.  Setting
# maxusers to 0 will cause the system to auto-size based on physical
# memory.

It seems to work pretty well on any and every box I have ever built, so
unless your system has trouble determining the availalbe physical memory,
my guess is you can just leave it as is.  I am no kernel expert, mind,
but I don't think fiddling with this setting while trying to fix another
problem will help matters.

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \