Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 2015 18:32:22 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        jd1008 <jd1008@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Users <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What's in my hard drive? How can I get rid of it?

On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 15:20:42 -0700, jd1008 wrote:
> Well, Windows comprises like.... what? 90%? 95%? of
> laptops and desktop computers. Is that not the case?
> So it makes sense that dll's and registery would be
> mentioned. But I am convinced that Unix'es and Linux'es
> are also included for such infiltration.

Placing software "infront" of the OS is always a good
way to deal with cautious users who might simply delete
the "Windows" and install an operating system on their
computer. For that "target group", using the typical
malware doesn't work. So putting "nasty" stuff in the
disk's firmware is one of the possible ways. A different
approach is to put "nasty" software in routers and printers,
because unlike desktop computers, nobody(TM) really can
check what's going on there, and really-nobody(TM) will
load different software into those devices. So what do
you get in the end? A fully programmable computer in
the center of a network, and nobody cares, because the
printer is happily printing, and the Internet is up.
So move on, nothing to see here... :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany