Date:      Wed, 03 Feb 1999 15:00:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libpam related buildworld failures

Alex Zepeda wrote:
> No I meant service as in authentication types or tasks whatever ya call
> it.  From the man page:

Well, "service type" is a specific term in PAM that refers to things
like "login", "ftp", "ppp", and so forth.

>        PAM separates the tasks of authentication into four  inde-
>        pendent management groups: account management; authentica-
>        tion management; password management; and session  manage-
>        ment.   (We  highlight  the  abbreviations  used for these
>        groups in the configuration file.)
>

> authentication works.. but everything else gives unresolved (or defined)
> symbols...  so kdm, xdm, and samba don't work with pam on FreeBSD (well
> those are the ones I've tried).

That's what I meant by:

    If you instead meant things like support for RADIUS accounting,
    that's just waiting for somebody to come along and implement the
    necessary support in libradius and the corresponding PAM module.

I'm going to work now.  Gotta keep food on the table.  Bye! :-)

John
---
  "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
                                                            -- H. L. Mencken