Date:      Sun, 24 Dec 2023 08:54:28 -0800
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        Joseph Holsten <joseph@josephholsten.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB-serial adapter suggestions needed

On Sat, Dec 23, 2023 at 09:26:50PM -0800, Joseph Holsten wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 23, 2023, at 16:43, bob prohaska wrote:
> > What are the best-supported usb-serial adapters for use with FreeBSD on
> > arm systems?
> > I'm specifically interested in Raspberryp Pi 2/3/4 (and maybe 5
> > someday).
> >
> > I've been using pl2303 and ft232 but wonder if there might be others worth
> > considering. Pl2303 are cheap and have lately been working fairly well, but
> > if there's something better supported or behaved I'd like to know.
>
> I ended up going with the Raspberry Pi debug probe:
>     https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentation/microcontrollers/debug-probe.html
> If I remember correctly, it???s a pl2303 inside. I mostly got this model for the connectors and laziness.

Laziness and frugality led me to the pl2303 also. At the moment, it looks
like the best choice.

> Jeff Geerling mentions some of the other options at https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2023/testing-raspberry-pis-new-debug-probe

That's a good article, especially the references.

> If I were doing it again, I???d probably get the Black Magic Probe which also supports JTAG https://www.adafruit.com/product/3839

Present purposes are dedicated to serial console interface. Perhaps someday,
but not yet. An apropos search for jtag finds

altera_jtag_uart  driver for the Altera JTAG UART Core

Does that imply the only jtag device supported by FreeBSD must
be compatible with the particular device family?

Thanks for writing!

bob prohaska