Date:      Mon, 05 Nov 2007 08:37:16 -0600
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tar Ignoring out-of-order file What Does that Mean?

Jonathan McKeown writes:
> [that was me - I'm glad I was of some help]

Most definitely. You've been a tremendous help but I am still
stuck and I believe all issues are known except this one.

	I should know when the unpacking/packing part is working
by unpacking the FreeBSD iso image and then repacking it without
doing anything at all. This should give me an iso image that is
the same size as the good one and probably a byte-for-byte copy
of the original.

	I did as you suggested and here is what happened.

	First, I created a directory called image and cd'd
there.

$ ls

	It's empty as it should be.

$ ln -s usr/src/sys sys
$ ls -l
total 0
lrwxr-xr-x  1 martin  martin  11 Nov  5 07:44 sys -> usr/src/sys

Now, it is time to unpack the iso image.

$ tar xf ~/6.2-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso
tar: Ignoring out-of-order file

Darn!  Well, Let's see how big an ISO image file it makes anyway.

$ mkisofs -l -R -q . >~/tmp/testfile.iso
$ ls -l ~/6.2-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso ../tmp/testfile.iso
-rw-r--r--  1 martin  martin  598476800 Nov  5 07:48 ../tmp/testfile.iso
-rw-r--r--  1 martin  martin  601229312 Sep 21 08:57 /home/martin/6.2-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso

The original iso image is 2,752512 bytes larger. I bet it's the
files that tar doesn't seem to be happy about.

	Once this hurdle is finally jumped, the rest should be
quite normal.

If you mount the image on a Linux system and use tar or mkisofs,
you get a file that is almost twice the proper size so I think
there may be some links that end up as multiple versions of the
same files when they should have been symlinks or something
else. The image made with FreeBSD's mkisofs and tar utilities is
the archive that is 2.5 megs short.