Date:      Sun, 27 Mar 2022 21:25:46 -0400
From:      Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using a FreeBSD desktop was somehting about dog food

On 3/27/22 4:24 PM, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 13:24:20 +0200
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net> wrote:
>
>> to get rid of X graphics issues on Linux I migrated away from AMD/ATI as
>> well as NVIDIA to Intel. For a lengthy period of time using Linux +
>> Intel was a pleasure. However, since the Intel X driver isn't maintained
>> anymore it's replaced by the modesettings driver. A lot of workarounds
>> are needed when using this driver and those do not necessarily help
>> very much, you e.g. might need to drop one or the other web browser.
>> Hardware video acceleration is tricky, even when using the obsolete
>> Intel driver, since not all apps are able to make usage of hardware
>> video acceleration.
>
> 	Quite so and all of this is neither Linux nor FreeBSD but rather
> the DRI/DRM project which does most of its development work on Linux AFAICT
> but is intended to be OS agnostic. Unfortunately this project has the
> problem of trying to play catch up with what the video card makers are
> doing in their Windows drivers.

NVIDIA never releases the details of their chip internals. Therefore, no
open source driver can [legally] be written which is capable of, say,
have dual screen with different screen resolutions, as there is no
specs/description of how video RAM is mapped... ATI had always been open
about chipsets' internals (don't know how things changed when developing
continued after AMD bought them out), and therefore open source drivers
were extremely good. Now, NVIDIA's [proprietary] drivers are actually
written by NVIDIA itself. For those systems which NVIDIA prefers. I am
just ranting about Steve words of Linux catching up with Windows.
Respectfully disagree - very first time probably disagree with Steve.
Usually I learn from Steve, his knowledge is incomparably deeper than mine.

Valeri