Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 1998 07:24:02 -0600
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Do we support > 32 drives yet?

In article <199810261835.TAA13230@yedi.iaf.nl>,
Wilko Bulte  <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl> wrote:
>??? The HSZ50 backend is not wide scsi. In a BA355 type enclosure you can
>have 24 disks, using BA35[06] device shelves you can have 6 (backend
>channels) * 7 (disks per shelf) is 42 disks. Using redundant power supplies
>in your BA35[06] you are limited to 6 * 6 = 36 disks. I don't see how
>you get to 84 disks.

You can run two HSZ50s on a single SCSI bus, with 7 disks on each shelf, for
a total of 84 disks. You can only assign them to 56 unique LUNs between the
two units, though. Digital UNIX doesn't support more than 7 IDs per bus,
unfortunately, but on FreeBSD you could fit four HSZ50s for 168 drives
over 112 LUNs. You'd run out of minor numbers before you'd populated the
third host adapter.

Yes, this is way extreme. There's cheaper ways of doing it, but the sparse
address space and nailed-down device numbers of the System V model is handy
when you have a lot of hot-pluggable hardware.

As for ADVFS...

My experiences with ADVFS have made me extremely reluctant to trust it with
anything more critical than a news spool.