Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 1998 05:22:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Woodchuck"  <djv@bedford.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Mytinfo, Termlib, Termcap

Recent discussions about setting the terminal type (i.e. getting
a non FBSD system to understand cons25), prompted me to look for
how terminal definitions are stored and used on FreeBSD. Someone
had remarked that FreeBSD "uses termcap" and Linux uses "terminfo".
(Off-topic, but what's /etc/termcap for on Linux?)

Could someone, then, identify these libraries, and what they're for?

libmytinfo.a   libtermcap.a   libtermlib.a

The last two are hardlinked.

They all contain these routines: (and others in mytinfo).

[root@castor lib]# nm libtermcap.a|grep T
00000360 T _tparm
00000000 T _tputs
00000010 T _tgoto
00000060 T _tgetent
00000650 T _tgetflag
00000610 T _tgetnum
00000680 T _tgetstr
00000000 T ___set_ospeed
[root@castor lib]#

although libmytinfo appears to have more.

These three libs appear to be termcap oriented, despite the provocative
name of libmytinfo.

Then there's "man terminfo", which happily describes terminfo, although
there is no terminfo database, at least in the familiar SysV
(/usr/share/terminfo/*) form. This, I think comes somehow from the
ncurses library. There are also tconv programs.

Sooo... my conclusion is that there is no terminfo database, but that
if you need one (i.e. are porting some SysVish code), linking against
libmytinfo might work? Is libmytinfo used for any of the userland?

Now looking through those libs with strings, they both (i.e. all three)
reference /usr/share/misc/termcap, but *not* /usr/share/misc/termcap.db,
the hashed database.

So the hashed database is for what? grep dbopen * in either
/usr/src/lib/libmytinfo or ...libtermcap gives no hits.

Thanks,

Dave
--
       Will hack for cabbages!  Every day is Groundhog Day!