Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:12:50 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
Cc:        "<freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   * Re: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle

On Jan 17, 2012, at 7:05 PM, "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>=
 wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 06:49:02PM -0800 I heard the voice of
> Julian Elischer, and lo! it spake thus:
>>=20
>> 5 was not out on a limb for so long because it was a clusterfun, it
>> was out there because it was a rework of how almost everything in
>> the kernel worked.
>=20
> I'm not saying it was a cluster because it was a huge amount of very
> deep work; it's because that huge amount of very deep work completely
> gated our next release.  Now, sure, changing external circumstances
> caught us with our pants down, and the tools we were using (like CVS)
> made it hard to do anything else.  But that just means there were
> good reasons why it happened; doesn't make it less clusterfull   :)
>=20
>=20
> The two circumstances (giant rework, and long period between major
> releases) are duals of each other.  If we chop off giant piles of
> stuff to do for FreeBSD-next, it's going to take a very long time.
> And if we instead just set very long times (Jan 2017 for 10?!
> Insanity!) for -next, we're going to end up with giant reworks and
> huge differences.
>=20
> And _both_ faces are very bad.  The one means we wait forever for any
> new work, and the other means that it takes enormous amounts of work
> as a user to transistion across the barrier.
>=20

We could adopt a cycle similar to the Linux Kernel...

Odd numbered releases are "experimental" while even numbered releases are "=
stable"

(ducks for flying fruit)

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.