Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 2000 00:36:56 +0200 (IST)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@xpert.com>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/mail/pine4 Makefile (fwd)

On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Crist J . Clark wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 30, 2000 at 11:43:20PM +0200, Roman Shterenzon wrote:
> > Still, I think the default should be "insecure" install, since most
> > machines are firewalled.
>
> This brings up a funny problem.
>
> The people putting up boxes behind firewalls are typically the ones
> who know what they are doing, your pro and semi-pro sysadmin. They
> don't need the 'dumb defaults' on the system to turn stuff on for
> them. They could and often are going to customize that stuff anyway.
>
> The people putting up boxes naked on the net are many time your home
> coax cable, DSL, etc. users. They are less likely to know what they
> are doing. They are the ones the dumb defaults are aimed at.
>
> So, we have an interesting situation. The very person the dumb
> defaults are aimed at, the UNIX newbie, is the same person who is most
> likely to be running the machine naked on the net and have the least
> understanding of the security implications of his actions.
>
> Worrying about how the default install affects the experienced user is
> not too much of a concern since the experienced user knows how to turn
> stuff on and off (but personally, I'd rather have it all off).
>
> I guess I am one of the few that thinks we should default off for the
> good of the newbie user, rather than save the newbie 5 minutes of RTFM
> to turn on telnet and ftp. Just everyone hope no exploit like the
> recent SGI telnetd bug is ever found hiding in FreeBSD's telnetd.
I think that you're quite right on this one.
I think that the solution which has "secure install" and "insecure" one
with a cursor on the "insecure" is good enough for most of the people.
Like one said, if you want to shoot yourself in the foot, just do it.
Which reminds me - OpenBSD has "afterboot" manpage which describes many
aspects of the system, perhaps we need something similar.

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]