Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 1998 02:39:33 -0700
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, street@iname.com
Subject:   Re: Softupdates panics

On Sep 27,  7:54am, Bruce Evans wrote:

} I believe there are races in xxx_checkpath().  It certainly unlocks,
} and I've been able to damage the directory structure by simulating a
} race: arrange for ufs_checkpath() to sleep for a minute or two near
} the end of the main loop in ufs_checkpath(), and while it is sleeping,
} manually rearrange the unlocked directory tree in a certain way.

I could believe that changing the hierarchy could bypass the check that
ufs_checkpath() just did, which would orphan part of the directory tree,
just like the comment says.  Just rearranging stuff in the directory
should be ok because of the following call to relookup(), which locks
the directory and repeats the search to find the proper offset.

Also this panic has been reported by enough people to make me think that
this problem is a more subtle race, but one that is triggered by more
common operations.  That said, I haven't managed to trigger it here.