Date:      Sat, 16 Jan 2016 15:46:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bris.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, jd1008@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: Fortran compiler

>>> When will the base system ship with a fortran compiler?
>>
>> Almost certainly never.
>>

>>> Why not resurrect the old f77?
>>>
>> Why don't you do it and not burden base with your niche desires?
>>
>What a nasty NASTY response to a very very valid request.

Calm down.

What is and isn't in the base is decided,
to a degree, by the majority of users,
partly by the base developers/committers
and partly by the core. Therefore what is in
the base os changes with time.

I think the prevailing opinion lately
has been to make the base as small as possible,
for many reasons, and to make ports/packages
as easy as possible to install.

As a Fortran user, I agree with this approach.

Regarding f77 - I cannot see a single
reason why f77 would be preferable to gfortran.

If you have any problems using Fortran on FreeBSD,
mail freebsd-fortran@.

Anton