Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 14:06:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Roger P. Johnson" <rpj@fep.hirshfields.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Will FreeBSD *ever* fix their 2940U drivers ???????????????

Like the subject line says, will FreeBSD ever fix their 2940U driver.

I have had nothing but nightmares getting FreeBSD's 2940U, 2940AU, and 2940UW
controllers to work in PC's that have, what, I believe the TX or LX chipset ???

On newer PC's I can tell exactly what chipset the MB is, but on these older
DEC PC's, Celebris 590's, I can't tell _exactly_ what chipset it is.

I get either "Read error" (which after a year found the problem and made a patch
for so it boots like it should), or the controller card is reconized, but then
times out. Ugh! Ugh!

What ticks me off is:
        I have one 2940U from about 1996, and it works with FreeBSD!
        I have one 2940AU from about 1997 and it works with FreeBSD!

About 9 months ago, I bought 10 2940AU's, guess what? FreeBSD hangs and times out on boot.
(Would anyone like to buy 10 2940AU's cheap cheap cheap ?)

Just bought some brand new 2940U's (because they work right?), guess what, it now hangs
   and times out on boot.

Never did get 2940UW to work either. Same story, it is reconized, hangs, and times out.

Only in the newer HX (I believe, would have to open the case up to see) does the 2940UW
with FreeBSD, does it work in.

Why does  uh-em, Linux reconize and boot in the same machine ? No Read error, no time outs
Why does NetBSD reconize and boot the same machine? No Read error, no time outs
Others state that even Win95 works.

Don't even mention "termination" and all that crap. That's not the problem.

How do you identify the chipset if you can't see any chip on the MB stating something
like HX blah or LX blah

    I've got 6 machines I would like to use Ultra SCSI in. Guess I can forget it using
FreeBSD anyways. I would think with enough postings to this newsgroup over the _years_,
that this problem would be solved by now. I don't think it ever will be.

    After 2 solid years of FreeBSD and this 2940U stuff on approx. 20 PC's, running a Point
of Sale program on them, I am good and ready to dump it for Linux or Solaris x86 for this
reason alone.

    Ugh.
     roger