Date:      Mon, 30 Aug 1999 20:20:34 -0400
From:      David Krinsky <krinsky+freebsd@bantha.org>
To:        George Shapiro <gshapiro@pps.k12.or.us>
Cc:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to set up routing & natd with freebsd 3.1

On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 03:17:12PM -0700, George Shapiro (gshapiro@pps.k12.or.us) wrote:
> Here are some more clues...  I am actually just trying to route off a group
> of computers on a LAN which has a dedicated gateway (a public high school).
>  Since there are only a small number of machines in my (hopefull) subnet, i
> am doing static routing... i.e.
>
> #route add -interface 159.191.33.148 vr1
>
> is one machine on the subnet. However, i can't ping this machine nor can
> the machine ping the interface connected to the subnet (they are on a hub
> together, so i shouldn't even need routing.) What am i doing wrong?

Are both interfaces properly ifconfigged?

My machine has two interfaces, one of which goes to the outside world
and the other of which goes to a small private network.  The following
is an excerpt from my /etc/rc.conf:

ifconfig_fxp0="inet 208.241.154.117  netmask 255.255.255.192"
defaultrouter="208.241.154.66"
network_interfaces="fxp0 ed1 lo0"
ifconfig_ed1="inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.0.0"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="open"
gateway_enable="YES"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="fxp0"

Everything not on either interface's subnet is routed to
$defaultrouter;  natd is up and running so the machines on the private
subnet (which lack their own internet-wide IPs) can see the outside
world so long as they use 192.168.0.1 as a gateway.

Hope this helps...

Dave.