Date:      Sun, 6 Aug 1995 23:29:00 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@netcraft.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: workaround for talk's address problem

> The correct solution would be asking the routing socket to see which
> interface address must be used to get in contact with the remote peer.
> Unfortunately, the interface to the routing socket is somewhat ugly to
> use and it requires root privileges.  Hence i'm suggesting the
> following workaround.  It introduces an option `-a' followed by a
> (dotted-quad) address to use for the negotiation.  This address will
> be checked against the address list as returned from gethostbyname()
> to avoid abusing foreign addresses.

I want to add an option like this to everything. I'm running a multi-homed
host that has *lots* (or will have) of ip addresses and I also
need to have, for instance, a sendmail connected to each address to handle
services for that particular domain.

I'm gradually building such an environment but if peopl have any ideas
about this I'd be interested. As I mentioned before, the approach I'm
currently taking is to have all the servers bind to the address
returned by gethostbyname where the hostname is returned from a
modified gethostname() that looks it up in /etc/hostname. This works
for me because each of my virtual domains live in their own chrooted
environment. I'm planning to add options to bind to a command line
specified address though so the ability is more general.

Anyone got ideas about a common flag to use? Any ideas about how to
do this in general.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul