Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 2015 14:57:18 -0700
From:      Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>
To:        Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: crochet build fails at ubldr Wandboard-Dual

Waitman Gobble
Los Altos, California USA
510 830 7975
On Apr 19, 2015 1:26 PM, "Tim Kientzle" <tim@kientzle.com> wrote:

> >> Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I missed the discussion on IRC.
> >>
> >> I suppose I'll have to backtrack through and find out where it
> >> _should_ be set to solve the problem. (?) For now, the workaround gets
> >> the build to finish.
> >>

> > It shouldn't be set anywhere, it should just work.  That's kind of my
> > point... my build process is just the standard "make buildworld
> > TARGET_ARCH=3Darmv6hf UBDLR_ADDR=3D<whatever>" and it just works.  I do=
n't
> > know what crochet is doing differently (and you only included a fragmen=
> > of the build log that didn't include the command used to start the
> > build).
> >

> Crochet does use the standard build machinery; the only significant
difference is that it builds ubldr separately after a successful
buildworld.  Building ubldr separately allows it to reuse the buildworld
results when building for multiple boards with the same TARGET_ARCH but
varying UBLDR_LOADADDR.

> The detailed logic is in lib/freebsd.sh, I=E2=80=99ve pasted it below (wi=
th a few
variables substituted in and some error checking removed to clarify):

>     cd ${FREEBSD_SRC}
>     ubldr_makefiles=3D${FREEBSD_SRC}/share/mk
>     buildenv=3D`make TARGET_ARCH=3D$TARGET_ARCH buildenvvars`
>
>     cd ${FREEBSD_SRC}/sys/boot
>     eval $buildenv make UBLDR_LOADADDR=3D0x11000000 -m $ubldr_makefiles o=
bj
>     eval $buildenv make UBLDR_LOADADDR=3D0x11000000 -m $ubldr_makefiles
clean
>     eval $buildenv make UBLDR_LOADADDR=3D0x11000000 -m $ubldr_makefiles
depend
>     eval $buildenv make UBLDR_LOADADDR=3D0x11000000 -m $ubldr_makefiles a=
ll

>     cd arm/uboot
>     eval $buildenv make UBLDR_LOADADDR=3D0x11000000 DESTDIR=3D${UBLDR_DIR=
}/
BINDIR=3Dboot NO_MAN=3Dtrue -m $ubldr_makefiles install

> The last bit here is just a way to get the FreeBSD makefiles to copy the
built executable to a known location (otherwise, Crochet has to reproduce
the FreeBSD build system logic for determining which objdir layout to use).

> Cheers,
>
> Tim

Thanks,

So maybe its truly a documentation issue since everyone is convinced
crochet is correct. I didnt see that mentioned in the docs.

Waitman