Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 1995 18:11:34 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jason@purcell.jlc.net (Jason T. Nelson)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can 2.0.1 mount NEXTSTEP disks?

> We're in the process of moving our news server from one machine running
> NEXTSTEP 3.2 to a second faster machine running FreeBSD 2.0.5. I was
> hoping I could mount the NEXTSTEP disk because it's a 4.3 filesystem, but
> I've been unsuccessful so far. Can it be done? If not, why not?

Probably it is using Motorolla instead of Intel byte order.

It may have a different superblock layout.

It make handle "immediate files" and "immediate links" differently.

You could probably hack a working read-only mount is 12-16 hours if you
had NeXT's FS specific header files and were an FS hacker.

This might make it a derivative work.  It would take longer to reverse
engineer.

Depending on the way the disk partitioning functions, you may end up
needing additional work.  In the near future (month or so), logical
volume presentation will find itself rather machine independent and
totally software driven.  At which time hacking that would take about
2-3 hours (assuming you put the disk on a BSD box and had NeXT's header
files once again).

By default, it won't be mountable without:

1)	A BSD device that refers to their idea of where a slice should
	start on a disk.

2)	Probably byte order checking and independence in the FS code
	you plan to use (for performance reasons, this should be a
	seperate FS from the FFS/UFS code).

3)	Probable superblock differences and other minor layout changes
	here and there (these should be discernable from their header
	files).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---