Date:      Mon, 6 May 1996 10:33:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Sujal Patel <smpatel@umiacs.umd.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   ISA Plug-n-Play Support Update Available

I have made a snapshot of my work on ISA Plug-n-Play support available at:
ftp://freefall.freebsd.org/incoming/ISA_PnP.May5.tar.gz
MD5 (ISA_PnP.May5.tar.gz) = d9336876e43e6e22eae4ad1349a5aa72

This is ALPHA quality code but is known to work on the following devices:
        SoundBlaster 16 PnP
        Supra PnP modems
        SMC EtherEz
        GUS Ultrasound PnP (Requires special init code, talk to Amancio)

The code should be complete enough to support 99% of devices that function
with current FreeBSD drivers (i.e. only need the Plug-n-Play support).  If
your motherboard supports PnP devices, then you don't need this code (but
this driver is useful to better control your device's configuration)

The only caveat is that you'll need to manually configure the device
(IRQ/DMA/Port/etc.).  Work is being done for auto-configuration/better
configuration and will be integrated into -current in the upcoming months.

The README in the tar will explain everything else.  The kernel patch is
relative to -current, so -stable users will probably have to make some
trivial changes.  Let me know if this stuff works on any more devices or
if you have any problems.

Thanks to Amancio Hasty, John Polstra, Louie Mamakos, and others for
feedback and bug fixes.

Sujal