Date:      Tue, 9 Dec 1997 09:24:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Michael Graffam <mgraffam@mhv.net>
To:        _| im <jim@basil.stthom.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X won;t go above 8 bpp

On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, _| im wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> This should be a simple question: How do I make X( via xdm) go above a
> color depth of 8.

If you use "startx -- -bpp 24" X will start up in 24 bit mode. All
flags after "--" get passed to the X server itself, so X -bpp 24
would work too.

With this observation in hand, you should be able to edit your
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers file (or similarly named) to launch
X -bpp 24 instead of just X.

Note that my FreeBSD box does NOT run X, these observations are from
Linux withh XFree86 3.3.1 ... but the flags should work for X under
BSD too. The Xservers filename and/or path may be different.

Michael Graffam (mgraffam@mhv.net)
http://www.mhv.net/~mgraffam - Religion, Philosophy, Computers, etc
"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe
the more often and steadily we reflect upon them: the starry heavens
above and the moral law within me. I do not seek or conjecture either of
them as if they were veiled obscurities or extravagances beyond the horizon
of my vision; I see them before me and connect them immediately with the
consciousness of my existence." - Immanuel Kant "Critique of
Practical Reason"