Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:28:13 -0400
From:      "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
To:        Nick Hibma <n_hibma@webweaving.org>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, Theo van Klaveren <havoc@Cal30B054.student.utwente.nl>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with the ATA-driver

Nick Hibma wrote:

> > If you end up doing this, can you have the driver print a line letting
> > people know this is intentional?  i.e.,
> >
> > ad0: DMA disabled: This drive does not properly support DMA mode.
> > ad0: To force DMA for this drive (at your own risk) set flags 0xXX.
>
> Let's not go the Linux way and make the boot messages slow down booting.
>
> Mentioning it in the manpage should be sufficient I guess. Blacklisting
> devices sounds like a good idea if tey fail to work correctly in many
> cases.

I agree that the 2nd line should go in the manual pages but keeping
the first line could reduce the number of user questions. Also, if
you have broken hardware, you probably don't care about boot speed.

Soren: thanks for the ATA driver. My Thinkpad 600 now happily runs
       -CURRENT at UDMA33 mode. Only suspends don't seem to work
       yet, but that can be pilot error as well...

Cheers,
Jeroen
--
Jeroen C. van Gelderen - jeroen@vangelderen.org