Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 1997 18:29:12 +0800 (TSD)
From:      "Victor A. Sudakov" <vas@vas.tomsk.su>
To:        softweyr@xmission.com (Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NT4 ISP

Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC wrote:
>  > And in my /etc/rc.local:
>  >
>  > /sbin/ifconfig lo0 inet 192.168.1.1 alias
>  >
>  > What is the reason of recommending against this assignment? What is wrong
>  > with it? Note the "alias" parameter I use. Thus, lo0 has two addresses.
>  >
>  > It works fine, I can ping vas.tomsk.su even if I am offline. It does not
>  > prevent me from using ppp because 192.168.1.1 is associated with lo0 and has
>  > nothing to do with tun0.
>
> But it really didn't add any value.

In fact, it did. I was looking for a solution to get rid of the "My hostname
does not seem to exist" problems and to allow my users to use talk. This
solution with aliasing worked for me. I even think it was prompted by
someone on this list.

> You can simply achieve the same
> result by adding your "hostname" as an alias to the standard loopback
> address in /etc/hosts:
>
> 127.0.0.1	localhost vas.tomsk.su
>
> Now you can ping vas.tomsk.su, it will resolve to the the standard loopback
> address, and you don't need to create a virtual network that isn't there.

Yes, I think your solution is better than the previous one. Even worth
mentioning in some sort of FAQ. It is not so obvious though. I wish you had
told me before.

There was yet another solution. Someone on this list suggested I should
install an ethernet card and associate my hostname with it :-) This would be
an ethernet network consisting of one node :-)

--
Victor Sudakov
http://www.tomsk.su/r/persons/vas.htm