Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 1997 18:24:05 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert), mestery@winternet.com, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with my Wincast, fxtv

> If this was all it was, I would happily consider helping with a
> remodelling of the DMA support, subject to the ISA gods and the
> desires of the sound crew, to help come up with a better interface.

So there is a dim light of hope, Cool 8)

> But for this to be worthwhile, we need a consistent set of
> requirements. Signals from the sound camp say that Luigi's code is the
> future of sound support as we know it, and as such I've been following
> his requirements (albeit lagging a little).  OTOH, general consensus
> is that Amancio's work is a QnD designed to get _something_ working
> now, so to me it makes little sense to try to track.
>
> If we can see some consensus from the consumers, perhaps?

What needs to be track is Luigi's effort and not mine.

The guspnp driver is meant as a stop gap while Luigi and the rest
of the sound crew manages to finish the next generation sound driver.
The guspnp series of sound driver is based upon the linux sound driver 3.5
however no one in the multimedia camp feels like supporting the
linux sound driver due to its complexity and Luigi has volunteered
to rewrite the sound driver. The linux sound driver 3.5 compatibility
is desired because there are Linux applications such as xquake which use it.

With respect to the now infamous isa_dmastatus and me going totally
ballistic with the one on -current is that I was presented with
a slightly different version for review which didn't have the
"sanity" checks .

We are trying are hardest not to interfere with the normal course
of development on -current. Michael's offer to help consider our
requirements is a step in the right direction and again the
requirements should be from Luigi's sound driver effort.

The next major issue with respect to the sound drivers is the
inclusion of PnP support. Perhaps we will be able to work
together...

	Amancio