Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 06:39:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mark Hendriks <markh@lon.imag.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Another Browser, Was: IE for FreeBSD

"Bill A. K." <billieakay@yahoo.com> wrote:
>     I was wondering if anyone here would like to get together with me and
>see if we can bug Microsoft to release a version of Internet Explorer for
>FreeBSD (or even Linux) BTW they have it for Solaris and HP-UX currently

Okay, so Netscape is a bloated piece of crap.  Somehow, replacing it with
another bloated piece of crap doesn't get me excited.

I was going to get into a whole spiel about some very good reasons why
Microsoft will never support Linux, despite other companies they support.
However, this would have discouraged you from being annoying to Microsoft.
You go right ahead.

So you want an alternative to Netscape?  Look at www.opera.com.  They're
working on a Linux version of their browser.  I've used Opera on Windows 3.1,
and I have to say that I like it.  I had to give it up, because it requires
6MB of ram, and I only have 4 (I've had difficulty trying to upgrade because
of the motherboard.)  Still, Opera ran better on my machine than Netscape 3.0,
most of the time.  The lack of memory in my machine, combined with the @#$%ed
up memory management scheme in Windows meant that Opera would crash when I went
to a site with large JPEGs.  Netscape actually requires much more memory, but
it only ran real slow, as opposed to crashing.

Please don't be annoying with this company.  This is a company that I really do
want to support FreeBSD.  So what can you do?  Get the Linux version, and let
them know that while FreeBSD will generally run Linux software, a true FreeBSD
version would be better.  Inform them about FreeBSD resources on the Net, and
let them know that there is a whole community knowledgable of users willing
to offer support for development.