Date:      Fri, 24 May 2002 21:53:35 +1100
From:      "Don Jones" <don.jones@linuxmail.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        nzfug@nz.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: D-Link DSL-500

Usually the nokia m1122 would be your best bet - but I believe nokia are pulling out of the xDSL market in NZ.

NZ DSL suffers from the PPPoA problem of useless bridging support, so some "routers" may only port forward a few specific ports - this is ok for joe user but sucks if you want to run a non-braindead gateway behind the router.

For FreeBSD this could be something like IPSec /FreeSWAN. I know the Cisco 827 suffers from this - you can terminate VPNs on it but if you want to bridge it you're out of luck. The point here is you need to think what services you may want to run on the boxes inside the router. If your needs are simple you'll be ok with just about anything, if not you need to investigate more carefully.

Firstly forget any non external ethernet based ones, not worth the trouble. The Nokia M1122 is pretty good - but as I say, its days are numbered in NZ and its fairly expensive. The D-link is inexpensive and will bridge most stuff afaik (note I am not using bridge in its strictly technical sense here) but is fairly new on the market - so it doesnt have much of a track record. From the other answer it may be problematic - I know of users using it - without problems - but only for the last month or so.

Its a pity you dont have the option of cable where you are - I run paradise 128 in front of a FreeBSD gw /server and I have had 0 outages or other "brownouts"  so familiar to xDSL users, in 3 months continious usage.

The list at:
http://www.unixathome.org/adsl/
may be helpfull, as would the other comprehensive nz adsl site  - whose URL I cant remember at the moment - anyone?

Hope this helps

Don Jones