Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 1999 13:34:45 +1000 (EST)
From:      andrew@ugh.net.au
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        torstenb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Overiding hushlogin for sshd

Hi,

I have a ~/.hushlogin file and a hushlogin entry in the "me" entry of
~/.login_conf but when I ssh into a box I still get the motd.

The logic of sshd is:

if ~/.hushlogin exists set quiet_login to true
if hushlogin is present in login.conf set quiet_login to its value
if hushlogin is not present set quiet_login to false

It seems to me there is no way for a user to choose if they see the motd
or not as sshd dosnt look at ~/.login_conf, only the system login.conf.

I want to change this (no choice) behaviour. login(1) has slightly
different logic...if hushlogin isnt set in login.conf it checks for
~/.hushlogin. This allows a user to force a quiet login even if root hasnt
set it up that way. There is no way to show the motd however if root has
switched it off (other than cat /etc/motd after logging in :-)

Would there be objections to a patch to change sshd's behaviour to the
same as login(1)?

For that matter shoud login(1)'s behaviour be changed to honour
~/.login_conf for things like hushlogin (obviously not for things like
nologin :-)? I guess that is really a question for another list...

Thanks,

Andrew