Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 1997 10:31:07 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        vas@vas.tomsk.su (Victor A. Sudakov)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NT4 ISP

Wes Peters blathered:
% But it really didn't add any value.  You can simply achieve the same
% result by adding your "hostname" as an alias to the standard loopback
% address in /etc/hosts:
%
% 127.0.0.1	localhost vas.tomsk.su
%
% Now you can ping vas.tomsk.su, it will resolve to the the standard loopback
% address, and you don't need to create a virtual network that isn't there.

Victor Sudakov replied:
> I have been experimenting with this for a while and this idea turned out to
> be a bad one. A "brain fart", as you would put it ;-) I had to return to my
> original setup using the alias on lo0.
>
> One of the immediate problems your suggested setup caused was that tin would
> begin to put "user@localhost" instead of "user@vas.tomsk.su" into the From:
> header of usenet messages I post.

Oops.  You could probably get around this by reversing the order of
names in /etc/hosts, i.e.

	127.0.0.1	vas.tomsk.su	localhost

This will make 'vas.tomsk.su' the PRIMARY name for the loopback device.
A better way to fix it is to edit your sendmail.cf to always send
your domain name as the 'from' address.