Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 18:45:41 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        scheper@beast.toad.net (Richard Scheper)
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP + XDM = keyboard lockup

> Wow! That's a lot to chew and mostly over my head, but a couple of
> questions..
>
> If what you say is true, then wouldn't I have toruble running xdm even
> from a root login after the boot process is over? I don't.

No, not if the system is relatively quiescent.

As I told Nate, you should be able to easily test this by loading
the I/O system (preferrably *not* your disks) and bouncing the
console in and out of X using ctrl-alt-F1/[ctrl-]alt-F4.  If it
locks up, the problem has been identified.

> How could I delay the startup of one of the processors, as you suggest in
> your last point?

There is a sysctl which controlls the startup of the auxillary
processors.  If you were to delay starting the processors until
after X was running, you would be able to see if this were related
to the SMP code path differences if it still locks up without the
other processors running (I don't believe it will) or to an I/O
space conflict (It may lock up following the AP's starting up,
but it probably won't, since when you do the manual start, the
system will be relatively quiescent).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---