Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 95 17:04:09 CST
From:      laufen@sol.med.ge.com (Derek Laufenberg  x7-4534)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        caj@med.ge.com
Subject:   NIS & timeouts during power up

I'm running 2.1-SNAP 11-04-95 here at work.  We have NIS running
on our Sun network.  The freebsd box times out when adding the
route for the localhost in netstart.

   route add freebsd_name   localhost

Now, freebsd_name is not in our Sun's NIS maps yet, but it is in
the local /etc/hosts file.  Host.conf is configured as follows:

# $Id: host.conf,v 1.2 1993/11/07 01:02:57 wollman Exp $
# Default is to use the nameserver first
# bind
# If that doesn't work, then try the /etc/hosts file
hosts
# If you have YP/NIS configured, uncomment the next line
nis

So it should look in /etc/hosts first, and then try the NIS maps.
Right?

It seems to be trying the NIS maps and timming out.  WHen the system
comes up it everything works as expected.

When I comment out nis in the host.conf file the system boots without
any timeouts.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance,

	Derek Laufenberg