Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:46:18 -0500
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <hornback@wireco.net>
To:        "Joseph Gleason" <clash@fireduck.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Hardware" <hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Server MB suggestions?

	Agreed.  They make the best drives, hands down.

> 2) Get good controllers (3ware for RAID-10) or Promise cards

	Agreed again, if you're doing IDE.

> 3) Keep it at one drive per chain.  I am no hardware expert, but it is my
> understanding that there are major performance hits if you have two drives
> on a single chain.

	That last assertion depends on the controller, the drives and the RAID
schema that you are using (i.e. SCSI).

	Hang 4 Ultra160 drives off of a UW controller, and you're going to see
performance dips.  Hang 4 UW drives off of an Ultra160 controller, and you
should (if configured properly) see a performance increase.

	You have to remember that for RAID 1 (or other mirroring setups) for every
read request, you're hardware is actually doing two (or more).  But, you can
regain some of that performance by going to a striping schema which allows
the hardware to read across more than one physical drive, utilizing higher
output.

--- Andy