Date:      Sat, 01 Jan 2022 09:58:29 -0500
From:      "Michael Fiano" <mfml@fastmail.com>
To:        "FreeBSD ports" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Outdated ports

Forgive me if this is not the correct forum. I've only been using FreeBSD for a a couple months after a couple decades of Linux, and I noticed some popular projects have ports that are severely out-dated:

sysutils/dunst is behind 5 releases, nearly a year old.
x11/rofi is behind 4 releases, more than a year old.

There were some others too, but these are the ones I remember. I was under the impression that ports were kept fairly up to date. I am also aware that this is  volunteer work and someone might have to be nudged. Can someone point me to the correct approach here?

In addition, there are quite a few projects that I have relied on development Git checkouts of, but no such port exists for those (except editors/emacs-devel), as well as some strangely missing ports ((Perl 6/Raku's reference implementation: Rakudo). I started reading the Porter's Handbook, and I hope to soon begin a long journey of maintaining such ports.

Thank you,
Michael Fiano