Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 1995 15:23:15 +0800 (WST)
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@haywire.DIALix.COM>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@blaise.ibp.fr>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Version numbers of the different branches?

On Mon, 10 Jul 1995, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> > > You can tell that the files are older than a particular date, that
> > > is very useful.
> > >
> > > ("BUILT-950703" ?  Hey, He hasn't got the "ls -s panic" patch that
> > > got comitted on july 5th !)
> >
> > Yes but I can have sources from May and build a kernel in July... So you
> > can't deduce anything.
>
> It still rules out that you have anything >later< than that date...

Unfortunately not necessarily..  If they do a 'sup; make all; make install'
every day from may through july, the date on send-pr will never change -
it'll still say it's a may release, even though it's totally july-vintage
code they're running.

Hence, my suggested change to send-pr, so that it uses the installed
version of uname at run time, not the time of the first make.  (make all
will never change the RELEASE!= entry in an otherwise up-to-date send-pr
in the build area).

-Peter