Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 1995 18:29:11 -0700
From:      dale@northcoast.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   restoring whole system from tape

I needed to make my swap partition bigger, so I backed everything up
on tape (ft0) and reinstalled the new partitions, then the bindist.  I
didn't add any passwords or users.  Then I restored all my old files
(everything from / down) from tape.  Unfortunately, now I can't log
in.  My old passwords (for both root and user) result in "Login
incorrect" errors.

How can I get back into my system?  Or, alternatively, what's the
correct way to restore my system from tape?

Thanks if you can help.

Dale Sanford <dale@northcoast.com>