Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:16:17 -0400
From:      "Thomas M. Sommers" <tms2@mail.ptd.net>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: QPL license question

Steve Price wrote:

> I was reading a copy of the QPL license
>
>   http://www.trolltech.com/products/download/freelicense/license.html
>
> and had a question regarding the following paragraphs.  IANAL and I
> don't want to pay one for a translation because I'm just curious what
> the heck it means.
>
>  "6. You may develop application programs, reusable components and
>      other software items that link with the original or modified
>      versions of the Software. These items, when distributed, are
>      subject to the following requirements:
>
>      a. You must ensure that all recipients of machine-executable
>         forms of these items are also able to receive and use the
>         complete machine-readable source code to the items without
>         any charge beyond the costs of data transfer.
>
>      b. You must explicitly license all recipients of your items to
>         use and re-distribute original and modified versions of the
>         items in both machine-executable and source code forms. The
>         recipients must be able to do so without any charges whatsoever,
>         and they must be able to re-distribute to anyone they choose.
>
>      c. If the items are not available to the general public, and the
>         initial developer of the Software requests a copy of the items,
>         then you must supply one."
>
> This sort of sounds like the GPL to me.  If I write a piece of code
> that for instance links to libqt, does that also mean that I have to
> release the code for my application or just my changes if any to the
> libqt source?

It all depends on what "the items" refers to.  Note that in most
(probably all) U.S. jurisdictions, ambiguities in contracts of adhesion
such as this are construed against the drafter.  So "the items" might,
and I think by the usual rules of English does, refer to "the original
or modified versions of the Software".  Note also that in para b. there
is a reference to "your items", which could be construed to indicated a
difference between "the items" and "your items".  So an argument can be
made that you do not have to release your own source.

Note that IANAL, and this is not legal advice.  Taking this approach
could result in litigation.