Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:29:18 -0700
From:      "Torben K. Jensen" <Torben@ArchimedeSoft.com>
To:        FreeBSD Hacker List <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   4.2-STABLE (Feb 20): mkfifo function hangs?

Posted this on freebsd_questions yesterday, but didn't yield any

My question is simple: Could there be situations when the mkfifo
function might hang? I am currently developing a daemon which uses a
named pipe to communicate with any second instances of it the user might
attempt to start. The behavior indicating a hangup occurs when the
daemon is started, has created the fifo, opened the file for reading
(fopen) and
then for some reason dies disgracefully in the middle of an fread call.
If I subsequently try to start up my daemon again, the very same mkfifo
call apparently hangs (at least that's what DDD tells me). I would
expect it to return an error code instead.
If anyone is interested in looking at this, but would like to see some
source code, please let me know.

Thanks for you time,
--
Torben K. Jensen